We have placed cookies on your computer, as they are essential for parts of the site to operate. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but certain functionality will cease to operate. Find out more about the Stagecoach cookie.
Most tickets are available until 13.10.2017
Travelling in a group of 10 or more? For a range of great discounts and benefits get in touch with our dedicated Group Travel team on 03457 125 678.
Find the cheapest tickets with our Best Fare Finder.
Taking place at Barrow Hill Roundhouse for the third time on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd September, this event brings together an exciting range of full sized steam and diesel locomotives on display alongside their model-sized counterparts. This is a great event for all the family!
Highlights of the event include:
- The world famous steam locomotive ‘Oliver Cromwell’ reunited with Barrow Hill resident Black Five No. 45110 for the first time in 44 years, the two locomotives having hauled IT57 ‘The Fifteen Guinea Special’, the last main line passenger train to be hauled by steam locomotive power on 11th August 1968 before the introduction of a steam ban that started the following day.
- The best model layouts in the country in a variety of scales and gauges – seventeen in total, including the exhibition debut of “The Railway Children”.
- Quality exhibitors, including show sponsor Hornby.
- Modelling demonstrations and advice from the Model Rail magazine team.
- Travel direct to the event by East Midlands Trains’ special shuttle service between Chesterfield Station and Barrow Hill and avoid the queues.
- Free steam train and brake van rides.
- Explore Barrow Hill - Britain’s last operational Roundhouse and view a host of resident steam, diesel and electric locomotives.
- Free parking, free bus from Chesterfield Station, excellent on-site catering and a free show guide.
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 'A Class' 0-6-0 No. 1300 has been confirmed as another guest locomotive for the event. It will be in steam and working free train rides alongside ‘Oliver Cromwell’ and the Roundhouse’s resident ‘Peckett’ steam locomotive.
Also confirmed to attend is the National Railway Museum’s unique Class 71 electric locomotive E5001, which will be on static display for the first time at Barrow Hill.
Modern traction fans will also be able to enjoy four pair of Class 20s in four different liveries – BR blue, Railfreight, HNRC orange and, being unveiled for the very first time, GB Railfreight.
The show is open from 10.00am to 5.00pm on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd September.
Tickets are on sale now from www.theticketfactory.com or by telephoning 0844 581 1383. Ticket prices are:
Children aged 5-15
(under 5s free entry)
(2 adults and 2 children)
Shuttle rail ticket
* A £1 booking fee per transaction is also payable.
The East Midlands Trains shuttle service will depart from Chesterfield Station at 09.55, 10.55, 11.55, 12.55, 14.55 and 15.55. On Sunday 23rd September ONLY the shuttle service will start at Derby, departing at 09.15, before forming the 09.55 departure from Chesterfield**. The shuttle service will then follow Saturday’s timetable.
**A standard Derby-Chesterfield fare will be payable in addition to the £5 shuttle ticket.
Further information on the event, including the latest news on visiting engines and layouts, the full
shuttle train service timetable and special show offers, can be found at www.modelraillive.co.uk
Further information on Barrow Hill Roundhouse can be found at www.barrowhill.org.